I started out strong with this blog, but haven't been updating after all my runs anymore. It is hard sometimes to take the time out of the day when I should be doing something more productive (i.e. homework, playing with my kids, cleaning the house, making dinner...) but here I am up way later then I should be on a work night typing away.
So this morning after my run I started a new thing, where I quickly jot down in word a few things that I thought about that I wanted to include in my blog but was afraid I would forget. Smell is such a crazy sense, it is amazing how different smells can have strong memories attached to them. When I first started running and it was a little cooler out I was out on a track, and the smell took me back to high school. It was crazy the millions of memories of running track and the rush and everything that came along with racing running through my head, and this morning I had the same sensation this time for a different period in my life. I ran past this women who walks like every morning, I have passed her almost every day that I am out there, and her laundry detergent hit me like a ton of bricks. I was instantly back in my PT gear running with my hair pinned back into a tight bun and scared half to death in this unfamiliar place called basic training. I was so tiny back then and I was so much faster, and in this memory that felt like a movie flashback I was there. I was feeling the same emotions, and if I had a mirror I swear that 18 year old girl would have been looking back at me with her skinny 12 year face and downward turned mouth. Then other memories of stopping down in the laundry room helping with laundry duty flooded my head. All because of one smell, one crazy little thing took me back to a place over 8 years ago. I was so different then, so naive, so unaware of the big world out there. I was in for the ride of my life, and the most eye opening events in the big girl Air Force.
My next note was about waking up earlier and earlier to beat the heat. Waking up at times I never thought I would get up to do something that I thought I hated so much. I used to laugh when I heard the term "fun run" what run would or could EVER be FUN? Crazy people may have been on the bandwagon for that one, but I was not falling for it, until this, until now. Running has turned into so much more then just getting up early and pushing myself to my limits. This is a crazy feeling, a part of me so much already, consuming me, and defining me. I look forward to running, I hate missing my runs. The more I run the easier it feels, the easier it feel the more that my runs become my "me time" my alone time. I have come to look forward to the solitude of my runs, the ability to let my mind run wild and not have anything or anyone to worry about. My friend posted that life was crazy because he wakes up at 4 only excited because he has another hour left to sleep, I posted to him that it was crazier when you wake up at 4 on purpose and excited to go out and run before a long day at work.
Okay its getting really late, so my last two comments. The earlier that I get out the less people I tend to see. I kind of like the fact that there is no one out running when I am there, I have the whole place to myself, but it also gets a little intimidating because its so dark, and I am a woman running. Fortunately we have security guards that drive around all the time, and I pass them about 10 times on my runs. Thinking about getting a puppy, she may be able to run with me on some of my shorter runs once she gets a little bigger.
Lastly, I am slowly approaching my 100 mile mark. I am below 80 right now, so next week I should hit 100. I am really looking forward to that and feel like I have come so far in such a short period of time. There is no doubt about it, I am a runner.
No comments:
Post a Comment